Ava

Ava

Sienna

Sienna

Talia

Talia

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Lets get political

I do a lot of discussion boards and papers for my English 106 class. I figured I'll just share some of my assignments on here.
We were given specific topics that can be controversial for a discussion board. I chose to write about legalizing gay marriage.

"Should Gay Marriage Be Legal?" by K. Akhavan, gives us a well explained history of the gay rights movement. The author weighs out the pros and cons to legalize gay marriage and I feel, he gives a good description of both parties views.
Gay rights movement traces back to 1969. With very significant cases, i.e: Baker v. Vermont, Lawrence v. Texas, Bowers v. Hardwick, Hollingsworth v. Perry etc that bring us to today. 52% of the American people agree that homosexuals should marry. Currently 14 countries and 17 states in the U.S legalize gay marriage.
I know this is a "hot" topic. Actually, just last night some of my family members on Facebook got into a very heated discussion on the issue which lead to name calling and defriending, yikes. I am very proud that I do not support gay marriage. While reading the article I couldn't help but think of our last weeks discussion on Ophelia. I honestly believe people are pro gay marriage because they do not have a mind of their own. The advisory's plan is to fire very subtle darts into peoples minds and make them believe that doing or believing evil things is perfectly acceptable as long as the masses agree. Gods plan is not for the masses, it's for those who want to endure and follow his teachings and not those of man. I do believe legalizing gay marriage is a trend. Even if the numbers rise to legalize gay marriage it is not the way our Heavenly Father wants us to live. I will proudly teach my children the way of the Lord. The numbers may be against us but that is something I am not scared of.
"But it is they who do not fear me, neither keep my commandments but build up churches unto themselves to get gain, yea, and all those that do wickedly and build up the kingdom of the devil—yea, verily, verily, I say unto you, that it is they that I will disturb, and cause to tremble and shake to the center." Doctrine and Covenants 10:56.

Of course I couldn't end without...
"We, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children....Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets."- The Family: A Proclamation To The World.

4 comments:

  1. First of all, why are you posting anything at 1:26 a.m.? and second of all, I love you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me smile the entire time I read it.
    You are one amazing lady and I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is you who cannot think for yourself. Why restrict a legal binding between two people who love each other as much as you love your husband? No one is saying your chrurch has to agree to it, but why prevent the courts from marrying two people deeply in love? This is not a trend. This is compassion. It is love. And it is really none of your business. I will pray for you and that none of your sweet girls grow up to be gay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, this is a perfect example of calling good evil and evil good. Thank you for building my faith in revelation as written in the scriptures.

      Delete