Ava

Ava

Sienna

Sienna

Talia

Talia

Sunday, April 18, 2010

The day I have not been looking forward to...

happened today.



Ever since Ava was born I have been so scared that she was going to choke on everything! When she started eating solid food, the bites I would give her where so small. I would see babies much younger than her that would be eating food of much bigger bites. I have definitely been over protective about this. I may not be the cleanest person but I sure vacuum all the time now that she crawls. I was so worried about her choking because I thought I was going to freak out and not focus on getting what was ever in her throt out. I always pictured the situation much worse because I would make it worse. I would be scared of hurting her throat or not reaching down far enough etc..

While I was doing the dishes I set Ava up in her high, cut up some bananas and placed them on her tray. While my back was to her I heard her making funny noises. I turned and notice her face was bright red and she was not just coughing it up, she was clearly choking. I calmly just reached my finger down her throat and pulled out a big clump of banana. She looked at me with her tearful eyes and started eating her bananas again.

I know this does not sound like a big deal but I'm sorta glad it happend. Of course I'm not glad that Ava started to choke but I am glad that I know I don't freak out. For 10 months I did not give myself enough credit. The way I took care of the choking hazard you would have thought that I have been doing it for years and I was on my 8th kid. I'm very happy that she's OK and it all went calmly.

3 comments:

  1. Well done, Alana. And that won't be the last time that happens. Not just with choking, but others things will happen for you as a mother where you do what you gotta do and you find a way to stay calm through it anyway. Way to stay calm. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job!
    It's like you had enough adrenalin to lift a car!

    ReplyDelete